Sunday, May 23, 2010

My mind works wonders when my butt can't budge from the house

Had glorious Lontong, a truly Jawa feast this morning and I slacked all day. That is what a little coconut milk does to your system :D

SO when the kids asked me whats for dinner, I knew we had to have something simple, filling yet non oily.

(click "Find Out More" button below to read on)


I remembered the Sardines DH had bought a few days back. Its good to stock up on some of them, as they make fabulous quick sandwiches or in my case I had sardine rolls in my mind.

But I was too lazy to make the pastry, so I opt for what Sheila Rusly calls her version of Sardine Rolls from her cooking show back in during the fasting month last year.

The pastry isn't even pastry. Its bread, crust removed, and flatten with a rolling pin. GENIUS!

I then contemplated on having sardines as filling ~ still feeling a bit bloated, I decided on a stir fry filling, one my mom taught me how to make for Spring Rolls or Savoury Crepes.

Here's the English Version of the recipe
Original recipe in Malay is here

I call it FAYE's VEGE POCKETS



Filling:
Ingredients
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped

1 cup of Beijing cabbage (finely chopped)
1 / 2 cup long beans or snake beans (finely chopped)
1 / 2 cup Carrot (grated chorsely)
1 red chillies (seeded and chopped)

3 pieces of shrimp (chopped)
1 / 4 cup of the chicken meat (chopped)
seasoning salt to taste
1 tablespoon oyster sauce

2 eggs (make into an omelette and finely sliced)
A little oil for stir frying

Cooking Method:
Stir fry with garlic, minced shrimp and chicken meat with some oil.
Put one tablespoon of oyster sauce and stir again.
Add the long beans and red chili
Add the cabbage
Fry briefly
Seasoning salt to taste
Finally add the grated carrot and the chopped omellete.
Fry only for a moment and lift. Cool down before using.

Bread skin:
Cut crust of normal bread and rolled with rolling pin to make it flat

How to roll:
Place the filling in the center (not too much) roll just like you would roll a sardine roll.
Add a little water to a tablespoon of flour to make a glue mixture to seal one end.
Roll Bread skin slowly.
Clean up and press / squeeze the sides so that filling does not spread out.

Your vege pockets are ready either to be fried or baked (10 minitues or more until golden) Apply beaten egg yolk on top if you are baking.

Dipping Sauce
3 red chillies
4 bird's eye chilli
2 cloves of garlic
salt
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
a little vinegar
a little fish sauce Nampla
a little oil for frying
a little hot water

red chilli, bird's eye chilli and garlic pounded with a little salt until fine.
Heat some oil in a small saucepan, and stir fry (on low heat) add a little vinegar and water (not too many). Saute briefly. Lift. Add brown sugar, fish sauce and hot water it is still thick. Serve with Vege Pockets.

* Chilli pan-fried so that as to avoid an upset stomach.


3 comments: