While I am busy and careful not to add salt in Syasya's food, DH has suddenly been diagnosed with hypertension while he was onboard FSO Puteri Dulang.
The cause maybe have been to him having all those GLORIOUS food onboard especially 2 salted eggs in a day *haiz*
I'm trying very hard to get him on a DASH diet - Dietary Approaches to
Stop Hypertension. The aim is to reduce his blood pressure by eating foods that are low in saturated fat, total fat, and cholesterol, and high in fruits, vegetables, and lowfat dairy foods. The DASH eating plan includes whole grains, poultry, fish, and nuts, and has low amounts of fats, red meats, sweets, and sugared beverages. It is also high in potassium, calcium, and magnesium, as well as protein and fiber. Eating foods lower in salt and sodium also can reduce blood pressure.
So for starters, we have lots and lots of fruits in the fridge right now. More that we usually have.
And my mom (who has hypertension) has advised me to stop eating food that he's not allowed to eat infront of him (funny...I've been very diligent to have things moderately for myself. Scared because my mother was diagnosed with hypertension at the age of 50 and my brother - was diagnosed with hypertension at the age of 25)
But even to be on DASH eating plan it is best to
• Change gradually. Add a vegetable or fruit serving at lunch and dinner.
• Use only half the butter or margarine you do now.
• Have two or more meatless meals a week.
• Get added nutrients such as the B vitamins by choosing whole grain foods, including whole wheat bread or whole grain cereals.
• Spread out the servings. Have two servings of fruits and/or vegetables at each meal, or add fruits as snacks.
• Use fruits or lowfat foods as desserts and snacks.
But I love this contraption my mother got years ago (and she has one to spare). Makes cutting apples effortless and a huge motivator to my cause.